We build many things during the construction process, trust being the most important
Healthy home construction, designed to create a healthy indoor environment through the selection of non-toxic building materials, has become more challenging as the world evolves.
Healthy home construction creates a healthy indoor environment through the selection of non-toxic building materials. Homes and buildings may be beautiful and comfortable, but many construction materials and methods, heating systems, and furnishings can make you sick. Blending the world of brilliant design and architecture with safe building materials is more challenging as the world evolves.
When your home needs to be a safe haven from the toxic world we live in, it takes a committed team and extensive pre-construction planning to build the project free from chemicals and toxins. The LVC team will discuss every aspect of your healthy home with you to design it to be as free as possible from chemicals and irritants and safe for your family.
We recommend the book, Prescriptions for a Healthy House by Paula Baker Laporte, as a great resource and roadmap for a successful project.
The smallest of details often bring the greatest delight to you, the homeowner.
Healthy Home Construction Overview
Indoor airPlus guidelines via the EPA is a great starting point for home certification & healthiness.
A more in-depth analysis based on your specific needs can be outlined, as one size does not fit all when it comes to building a Client specific healthy home. MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities), allergies, physical limitations are all very specific to each individual and at LVC we are versed in the building details that can have a dramatic impact on a Clients life and health.
LVC focuses on the items outlined below during the healthy home construction process to help ensure a clean and healthy indoor environment.
- Real wood for the structure – no use of OSB (oriented strand board)
- Plywood subfloor and wall sheathing – no OSB
- Adhesives, finishes and glues are water based
- Paints, stains, and grouting materials are no/low VOC
- Cabinets & shelving are NAUF (no added urea formaldehyde)
- Metal-based roof (non-asphalt)
- Insulation is formaldehyde and dye-free
- Hardwood flooring is pre-finished with baked-on topcoat or water-based sealer
- Radiant in-floor hydronic heat
- Heat recovery ventilator (HRV) with HEPA filtration for fresh air exchange
- Whole-house fan to expel unwanted orders or heat in a timely fashion
- Air conditioning provided by mini-splits, no opportunity for irritants in ductwork
- Electrical design minimizing (EMF’s) electromagnetic fields
- Whole-house water filtration system
- Carpeting made of natural wool
- House to garage connection is air sealed with garage exhaust fan
- Electric appliances – no gas or propane in the home except essentials for heating
- Drywall joint compound and texture are Eco-friendly
- Interior doors and trim are real wood – no MDF material
Allergies or Health Concerns
If you or a family member have allergies or other health concerns, or you just want your environment to be free of toxic chemicals, we would love to talk with you about creating a healthy home. Healthy home construction options ensure your house is always a safe environment for your family from the day you move in.